Saturday, April 16, 2011

Article: Ipad replacing the computer?

Image8

So the big question dwelling from my review yesterday, is:
Can the Ipad (and other surf tablets) replace the computer?

Well, I want to structure the use of computers in general. And then in those areas
see how well the Ipad works as a replacement.

1.) Surfing /Internet
It works great, but Safari (the apple webbrowser has a few kinks that need to be worked out)
And there is the thing with shockwave that doesn't work on apple products but I haven't noticed any problems so far.

The ability to zoom and point with your fingertips works brilliantly.


Image7

3.) Writing, e-mails, word
Writing on a touch pad is something that takes some getting use to. I would say that a whole generation has to change its concept of typing. But in general this works flawlessly. Especially when you have T9 installed. The thing that takes getting used to is that you don't feel the "key-strokes" you have to listen for them. But it works really well. E-mails and such works great.

I haven't tried word documents yet, but I have written a lot on the Ipad. Like this post (so as you can see, no big problems there)


Image5
3.) Games
The ipad games look REALLY great. And when you hook up the ipad to your TV, it works even better. Still a few baby-kinks, when new technologies arrive. Gaming is not only adequete but also it is so easy and cheap to shop games on the Ipad. You don't have to install drivers etc. You just point on what you want. App store is gigantic, and so is the posibility to express yourself in games.


Image1
4.) watching movies
You can watch HD movies, you can download, you can hook up to the TV. It works great.
The ipad is powerful enough. Enough said (except that I wish VLC would return to the Ipad).

Image2
5.) Photoedit
I love the ipad mostly because of the different photo-edit apps. I have to say, with all respect to heavy programs like Adobe photoshop (that takes hours and weeks to learn) the apps are amazing on the Ipad. 90% of my photos and pictures on this blog are done on my Ipad/iphone.
recommend apps like:
- PhotoStudioHD
- Camera+
- PS Express

Image3
6.) communication
e-mail, facebook, skype, MSN-messenger etc.
This is where I have to say, we need better tools.
It works, and you can't really complain. But the Ipad has a resolution that doesn't give way for several chatt windows. This is will be worked upon I think however.

Image9
Summary:

Yes, I believe the Ipad is enough to replace the lap top. I really do believe that. There are a few things that need to be worked out on the Ipad before they can be as good as the laptop. But there are also areas where the Ipad works even better than a laptop.

The size and battery life is PERFECT for typical computer usage areas. I don't believe working on the next big novel is something for the Ipad. But again, I think this is more of a getting used to thing.

I REALLY REALLY recommend people to get the Ipad 1 or 2.

As for using tools and communicating on the Ipad, I think that the biggest asset here is App-store, that holds the future for Ipad in the community.

I know that people (sellers) at my work will be getting Ipads for their work(!)
So I already know that Ipads will be sold to companies all over the world.





ps.
By the way, I wanted to ask my readers to do me a huge favor. There is a "facebook fanpage", and if you like this blog, please click on it. It is sort of a way for me to see if people like the blog or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment