Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Article: What drives a journalist these days?


I keep wondering whenever I'm reading a newspaper, when I see how clearly EVERY journalist doesn't present news, but seems to want to chock readers.

And I understand it. They get paid per article. They are usually not employed full time, but free lance.

But I often worry on the effect this has on people who read the magazines. Journalists have the profound responsibility of peoples opinions because they often shape readers thoughts.
(and I am one of those faithful readers)

I wonder what makes a journalist tick? Its all a business I hear. And I am all for capitalism. The best article gets most earnings, sure, I get it.

But do journalists today have any honor left in them?
Does it ever strike them that they may be ruining a innocent persons life, or giving thousands of people unnecessary fear or guilt.

I suppose my main issue with journalists today (despite the fact that they have to make a living) is the daunting question "do they have any concience when they write articles?"

Do they even care how people will feel when they read?
Do they consider if their article will do good or wrong?

What about chief editors? What is their job anyway. Do they get bonuses for increased shock value? Do they get any bonus for getting articles that help people?

Its like the whole Wikileaks thing, where was the good intention of the whole thing? Or were they just preoccupied with what a amazing breakthrough it will be around the world? Did they consider perhaps the risks or releasing all those news (obvious to those who consider that politicians are humans too).

So what is the alternative?
Censorship?
No god No, that obviously does not work.

But perhaps a code of conduct for journalists that need some moral implementation. After all. Or perhaps forbid free lance all together. Put journalists on a pay roll. Give them in the incentiment to write for the good of people, and for the shock value.

ps.
By the way, I wanted to ask my readers to do me a huge favor. There is a "facebook fanpage", and if you like this blog, please click on it. It is sort of a way for me to see if people like the blog or not.



ps.
By the way, I wanted to ask my readers to do me a huge favor. There is a "facebook fanpage", and if you like this blog, please click on it. It is sort of a way for me to see if people like the blog or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment